You are here: Home History
The township, one of the interior subdivisions of the county, is bound on the north by Upper Augusta, on the east by Shamokin, on the south by Zerbe and Little Mahanoy, and on the west by Lower Augusta. Its territory was originally a part of Augusta, and from the division of the latter until its separate organization it was embraced in Lower Augusta. A petition for the division of Lower Augusta was presented to the court on the 12th of January 1880, whereupon G.W. Hower, John Eckman and M Haupt were appointed as commissioners to take the matter under advisement. This report, having been favorable, and election was ordered for the 24th of April following, resulting in an expression of popular approval, and on the 7th of May 1880, the township was formally erected by decree of court.
The surface is hilly. Little Shamokin and Plum creeks afford ample drainage. The principal highways are the Tulpehocken and Plum Creek roads: the former extends north and south, intersecting the latter three miles from Sunbury.
Seven Points, at that time, a village of one hundred twenty-five inhabitants, three stores, a post office and the shops of several mechanics, is situated in the eastern part of Rockefeller Township. On the Trevorton and Sunbury road about seven miles from the latter place. It derives its name from the fact that seven roads diverge at this place. The site was formerly embraced in a tract of several hundred acres owned by William Maclay, one of the first United States Senators form Pennsylvania. The first home within the present limits of the village was erected by William Raker in 1870; he owned the land adjoining, and sold it in lots of convenient size for purchasers. Mr. Raker also opened the first store. In 1874, the house now owned by William Eister was erected by George Shive, who started the first hotel therein; this business, however, was only continued six years. The post office was established in 1874 with William Raker as postmaster; since that time, G. Snyder, M.G. Ressler and William B. Eister, the present incumbent, have filled the office. Mail was received three times a week, but arrangements were (1890) in progress for a daily service form Sunbury. The schoolhouse, a one-story brick building, was erected in 1881.
Washington Camp, No. 139 P.O. S. of A., was instituted on the 20th of January 1886.
Augustaville is a small post-village on the Tulpehocken road six miles from Sunbury. It then consisted of several houses, a general store, shoemaker shop, school house, and post office, which was established in 1880. The first house was erected by Daniel Conrad in 1860 and was used as a hotel until 1886.
Augusta Lodge, No. 614, I.O.O.F., was instituted under charter dated November 19, 1867.
Rockefeller Township, at one time, had seven schools and an equal number of school buildings. One was situated at seven Points; one at Augustaville; one near Solomon Miller’s mill, known as the Shipman school; two on the Plum creek road, known, respectively, as the Upper and Lower Plum Creek schools; one near Emanual reformed church, and the other on the Irish Valley road.
Rockefeller Township, at that time, had six Churches:
Zion Church, Lutheran and Reformed situated on the Tulpehocken road six and one half-mile from Sunbury. The construction of this church was completed in 1816. In connection with this church and situated in the same lot to the rear of the building is a burying ground, the oldest in the township.
Eden Evangelical Lutheran Church located on Plum creek road was constructed in 1844.
Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church is located on a lot on the northeast corner of Wolf’s crossroads. Construction for this church was completed in 1885 after the Lutherans withdrew from a union with the Reformed congregation in 1884.
Emanuel Reformed Church located on Little Shamokin Creek road four miles southeast of Sunbury was jointly occupied by this congregation and the Lutherans until 1884 when the latter disposed of their interest; it was then used exclusively by the Reformed organization until 1886, when the present edifice was erected.
Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church was a small frame church edifice that was erected on the Hollowing Run road in 1860. In 1875 the church was enlarged, but has been much damaged by a storm and never repaired.
Seven Points Church of the Evangelical Association, a one-story frame structure, was dedicated in 1866.